Phone: (703) 790-1911
Fax: (703) 288-9411
Kathleen Machado represents community association clients, including condominiums and homeowners associations located in the District of Columbia and Virginia. She has experience in working with declarant-controlled associations, as well as more established associations which have made the transition to owner-control.
Kathleen has assisted her community association clients by:
• Representing them in collections efforts against delinquent owners, including extensive General District Court litigation in Stafford, Spotsylvania, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William County, Virginia.
• Coordinating, monitoring and preparing recommendations and documentation related to covenant enforcement actions
• Providing counsel regarding interpretations of legal documents, in accordance with applicable state, local and federal law
• Preparing and amending legal documents, including Articles of Incorporation, Declarations, Bylaws and Policy Resolutions
• Obtaining certifications for eligibility for Federal Housing Administration financing
• Attending and assisting in the conduct of Annual and Board of Director meetings
• Conducting Board of Director training
• Reviewing, negotiating and revising contracts, easement agreements and settlement agreements
Kathleen has been successful in defending an association client in General District Court litigation regarding alleged violations of the Association’s legal documents. Kathleen has also achieved success by dramatically reducing the delinquency rates for many of her collections clients by implementing cost-effective collections strategies and closely coordinating such efforts with her clients’ Boards of Directors, as well as management agents.
• Graduate of University of Florida
• Graduate of American University, Washington College of Law
• Barred in Virginia and the District of Columbia
• Prior Experience: Underwriting Counsel, Total Settlement Solutions
• Member, Community Associations Institute, Washington Metropolitan Chapter
Articles and Presentations
• “Charting the Course - How to Draft a Great Committee Charter” (December 2013 - Quorum Magazine)
• Speaker: Community Association Institute, Annual Conference and Expo, March 2013 - "Board Member Burn Out"
• “Board Member Burn Out” (November 2012 Quorum Magazine)
• “Foreclosures: Help Thy Self” (July 2011 Quorum Magazine)
• Speaker: Northern Virginia Metro Chapter of Women's Council of Realtors, May 2011 - "Purchasing and Owning Property Within a Community Association"
• Speaker: Community Association Institute, Property Management Education Event, 2011- "Understanding Green"
• Speaker: Capital Property Management, Educational Event, 2011 – Budgets and Special Assessments
• “Amending Architectural Standards and Guidelines” (October 2010 RB Community Association Newsletter)
• “Going ‘Green’ in Communities” (December 2009 RB Community Association Newsletter)
• “2008 Legislative Changes Affecting Community Associations” (December 2008 RB Community Association Newsletter)
*All Quorum Magazine articles have been reprinted by permission of Washington Metropolitan Chapter Community Associations Institute.
DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ANY LEGAL ACTION DEPEND UPON FACTS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. NEITHER REESBROOME, PC, NOR ITS ATTORNEYS GUARANTEE OR PREDICT SIMILAR RESULTS IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY REESBROOME, PC OR ANY OF ITS ATTORNEYS.