Senior Managing Counsel
Phone: (703) 790-1911
Fax: (703) 848-2530
Rory represents condominium and homeowners’ associations across Virginia, as well as individual owners. He also serves as the Supervising Attorney for the Community Associations practice group, providing advice to the firm on a wide variety of legal and practical concerns. He specifically focuses on creditor’s rights and the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.
As a Community Associations attorney, Rory has worked with Associations to:
• Collect assessments
• Enforce covenants
• Draft and amend governing documents and policy resolutions
• Review and negotiate contracts
• Advise Boards on matters concerning corporate governance, common area liabilities, and insurance issues
Most recently, Rory assisted a 35 year old association in revising and amending their declaration and bylaws in order to modernize their governing documents. Once the amendments were drafted, he assisted the association with the approval process and the subsequent implementation. The amendments were desperately needed so that the association could continue to meet its financial obligations, ensure owners’ enjoyment of their properties, and maintain values throughout the community.
As the Supervising Attorney of the practice group, Rory has helped many current and prospective clients tailor their collection procedures in order to maximize their recovery. His expertise with the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and various other state and federal laws also helps his clients obtain good results while minimizing their liability exposure.
• Graduate, Thomas Aquinas College
• Graduate, The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
• Barred in Virginia
• Attorney volunteer with Legal Services of Northern Virginia
• Member, Community Associations Institute, Washington Metropolitan Chapter Chair, Community Relations Committee, 2007 & 2008
• Co-Chair, Community Outreach Committee, 2009
• Member, Virginia State Bar, Real Estate Section
• Member, National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys
• Member, Washington Metro Chapter Community Association Institute Virginia Legislative Committee
Articles and Presentations
• 2011 Property Management Coalition Conference - Featured Speaker on "CICB Regulations"
• Community Association Institute, 2011 National Law Conference – The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act: The Bona Fide Error Defense in the Wake of Jerman v. Carlisle
• “The Changing Face of Collections” (February 2011 RB Community Association Newsletter)
• Virginia Association of Realtors, 2010 Property Management Summit – Landlord Tenant Relations Inside HOAs and Condominium Associations; What a Realtor as a Property Manager Should Know
• Community Association Institute, 2010 National Law Conference – The FDCPA and the Collection of Assessments: A Systematic Approach
• “The Recovery of Incidental Charges” (August 2008 RB Community Association Newsletter)
• “If a Tree Falls, and My Neighbor Hears It….Who Pays?” (January 2008 RB Community Association Newsletter)
• “Bankruptcy: An Overview” (April 2007 RB Community Association Newsletter)
• “Why Aren’t We Getting Paid?” (July 2007 Quorum Magazine)
• "Post-Judgment Collection: Don't They Have To Pay It?"
• Understanding Condominium Living, Arlington Home Show 2015
*All Quorum Magazine articles have been reprinted by permission of Washington Metropolitan Chapter Community Associations Institute.
DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ANY LEGAL ACTION DEPEND UPON FACTS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. NEITHER REESBROOME, PC, NOR ITS ATTORNEYS GUARANTEE OR PREDICT SIMILAR RESULTS IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY REESBROOME, PC OR ANY OF ITS ATTORNEYS.