Phone: (703) 790-1911 (Tysons Corner Office)
Phone: (301) 222-0152 (Bethesda Office)
Fax: (703) 848-2530
Pete’s practice has specialized for more than 25 years in the representation of condominium and homeowners’ associations throughout the Washington metro area. Pete and his team of associates and paralegals represent hundreds of community associations. Pete believes that personal, practical and direct advice are cornerstones to his client relationships (many of whom have been with him since they were first being turned over from developer control).
Pete has served as a managing member of the firm's Executive Committee since 2006. In 2010, he spearheaded Rees Broome’s first office outside Virginia, opening the firm’s Bethesda office in suburban Maryland while maintaining his practice in Tysons.
A typical client will see Pete acting as General Counsel to its Board of Directors. In that role, Pete advises the Board on the wide variety of issues that arise every day in multi-owner communities. Examples include:
• Creating and maintaining a proper governance structure, including training for new Board members
• Negotiating and drafting contracts for all types of contractor and subcontractor services, including property management companies, builders, security companies, landscapers and recreational facility managers
• Defending against employment disputes and housing discrimination claims
• Resolving construction claims against the developer
• Establishing a delinquency reduction plan
• Helping clients qualify for financing, FHA approval, etc.
• Ensuring effective interaction with local governments to approve site plans and amendments to site plans, special permits, zoning and special use exemptions
In one recent case, Pete helped a condominium client successfully resolve a legal dispute with a developer over the ownership rights to parking facilities.
• Furman University (B.A. / Political Science 1983)
• University of Richmond T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D. 1986)
• Licensed in Virginia and Maryland
• Former member of the Board of Directors and Program Committee Chair, Community Associations Institute, Washington Metropolitan Chapter; current member, Chesapeake Chapter, CAI.
• Senior Faculty Member, Community Associations Institute, Property Management Designation Program
• Peer-rated 'distinguished' by Martindale-Hubbell, 2011.
• Panel Chairperson, Montgomery County (MD) Common Ownership Commission
• 1994-Present: Senior Faculty Member; M204 Community Governance—two-day course for community managers seeking to earn CAI’s PCAM (Professional Community Association Manager) designation.
• 2002-Present: Instructor; ABC’s Course and Essentials of Community Leadership Course-CAI
• 2009-Present -Senior Faculty Member; M350 The Manager and the Law—two-day, advanced course for senior community managers for CAI
• 2001 Community Associations Institute (CAI) –Washington Metropolitan Chapter--Spring Conference-Common Interested Directors
• 2002-Present Your Community, Your Call—Panelist (Fairfax County Public Television)
• 2005 Spring Conference –Employment Law-Termination of Employees
• 2006 CAI Law Conference-Bankruptcy Reform-New Bankruptcy Reforms
• 2007 CAI Spring Conference-Predators Among Us-Criminality in Community Associations
• 2011 CAI Spring Conference-Electronic Communications in Community Associations in Notice, Voting and Administration
• 2012-CAI Winter Seminar (CAI Chesapeake Chapter) Fair Housing Overview Seminar
• 2015 (March) Speaker, “Fair Housing is Everyone’s Business,” Consumer Affairs Branch of the Dept of Cable and Consumer Services of Fairfax Co, VA.
• 2015 (April) Speaker, “Understanding Your Insurance....More Than Just the Basics,” Chesapeake Chapter, Community Association Institute.
• Co-Author, “The Fair Housing Act and Parking Accommodations” (April 2010 Quorum Magazine)
• “Making Sense of the Puzzle” (September 2011 Quorum Magazine)
• “Reasonable Accommodations and Reasonable Modifications for Persons with Disabilities”
(April 2011, RB Community Association Newsletter)
DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ANY LEGAL ACTION DEPEND UPON FACTS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. NEITHER REESBROOME, PC, NOR ITS ATTORNEYS GUARANTEE OR PREDICT SIMILAR RESULTS IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY REESBROOME, PC OR ANY OF ITS ATTORNEYS.